Street terms for Ketamine: jet, super acid, Special “K”, green, K, cat Valium. 1
What does Ketamine look like?
- Ketamine comes in a clear liquid and a white or off-white powder form.
How is Ketamine used?
- Ketamine is a tranquilizer most commonly used on animals.
- The liquid form can be injected, consumed in drinks, or added to smokable materials.
- The powder form can be used for injection when dissolved.2
- In certain areas, Ketamine is being injected intramuscularly.3
Who uses Ketamine?
- Ketamine, along with the other “club drugs,” has become popular among teens and young adults at dance clubs and “raves.”
How does Ketamine get into the United States?
- Marketed as a dissociative general anesthetic for human and veterinary use, the only known source of Ketamine is via diversion of pharmaceutical products.
- Recent press reports indicate that a significant number of veterinary clinics are being robbed specifically for their Ketamine stock.
- DEA reporting indicates that a major source of Ketamine in the United States is product diverted from pharmacies in Mexico.4
How much does Ketamine cost?
- Prices average $20 to $25 per dosage unit.5
What are some consequences of Ketamine use?
- Higher doses produce an effect referred to as “K-Hole,” an “out of body,” or “near-death” experience.6
- Use of the drug can cause delirium, amnesia, depression, and long-term memory and cognitive difficulties. Due to its dissociative effect, it is reportedly used as a date-rape drug.7
Source: U.S. Dept. of Justice